Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Truly a new day

Since I arrived here I've gotten into all sorts of conversations simply by wearing my Obama T-shirt or hat. Everyone I've talked with was rooting for Obama. Classmates from Ireland, England, Mexico, Sweden, Norway, Portugal, and a handful of other countries. Somalis at an internet point. Black British and West Africans. Everyone--except for two Americans on the Tube the other night, one of whom wouldn't even look me in the eye as she told me she didn't vote "for him."

Last night a friend texted me of Obama's victory at 3 a.m. Robin called during his acceptance speech at 5. Later this morning when I started to read the newspaper account of his win, I broke down and cried on the street. That in itself would have made quite a picture, I suppose--an American, walking down the street holding a Guardian with the headline "It's President Obama," crying. The significance of this election continues to bring tears to my eyes. 

Yes, emotions are closer to the surface when you're living in another country, but it wasn't simply that my guy won. And it's a lot more than the awareness that the Bush era is finally coming to an end, as much as that in itself is worth celebrating. The other students in my class--from about a dozen countries--are happy for his victory, but they don't quite get what a huge thing this is. As an American, this goes so much deeper for me. What this feels like a step in the long road of national redemption, a step that may jump us a bit ahead on the path of transcending our racism, past and present. It's dangerous territory, and I pray that the Secret Service can keep him safe. (Even more, I hope that no one attempts a hateful and violent act. Assassination is such a part of our history.) But this day truly marks a momentous event. Deep down, I yearned for this, but I guess I wasn't sure we were up to it. 

I'm sorry to be missing the celebrations back home. But with all the fireworks in the air tonight (Bonfire Night, Guy Fawkes Day), maybe I can just translate it in my mind to a celebration, not just in Obama's honor, but in hope of the nearer fulfillment of America's promise.

No comments: