Thursday, October 29, 2009

This is going down to the wire

So I received the statements from my bank in Minneapolis via FedEx yesterday. And they were just photocopies. Which are explicitly disqualified from consideration by the UK Border Agency. So now I wait for yet another FedEx from the States which is supposed to get here by 12:30 tomorrow.

One thing about the postal strike here: The Royal Mail website tells you which parts of town will be affected on any given day. How very British. So there's no point in trying to mail off my application tomorrow afternoon from a collection point anywhere in my part of town, but Central London post offices are supposed to be functioning, though with longer lines, I'm sure.

I did get my bank here to provide me a letter stating my balance, so hopefully that will suffice to take the place of the statement that's stuck in transit by the strike.

Oh, and that possibility of hand delivering my application? The office isn't in London, as I'd assumed all along. It's in Durham, which is just a caber's toss from the Scottish border. So that's a no-go, too.

Hoping for smooth operations tomorrow. Else I have to leave the country on Saturday.

No comments: